WPshed Theme Extras Plugin adds the ability to create custom widget areas (sidebars) to any WordPress theme. You can create custom sections (rows) and add widget areas to each section displayed as columns. This can be done trough a drag and drop intuitive interface.
How to Use WTE Custom Sidebars
- First, download our themes to see this feature in action.
- Install / activate WPshed Theme Extras plugin if you don’t have it already activated.
- Go to Pages, add a new page and select the Front Page template for it.
- Go to Settings – Readings and set the front page to display your newly created page. (optional)
- Go to Appearance – Theme Extras (Sidebars Tab) and set the Sections (rows) and Sidebars (as columns) using the drag and drop interface.
- Go to Appearance – Widgets or manage your widgets in the Customizer and add widgets to your custom created sidebars.
Integrate WTE Custom Sidebars in Your Theme
To enable WTE Custom Sidebars in your theme you’ll need to create a page template where the sidebars will be displayed. Usually this should be a full-width page, but it’s not necessary.
Example page template:
Now that you have created a custom template for WTE Custom Sidebars, you’ll need to tell the plugin the your theme support WTE Custom sidebars. For this you’ll need to add the following line to your functions.php file:
add_theme_support( 'wte-widgets' );
Thant’s it! Your theme can now manage and output WTE Custom Sidebars.